Why do we require sign permits?
Signage and other forms of outdoor advertising are important to the success of many businesses. Building and By-law Services uses a permit process to make sure signs in Tillsonburg:
- are the appropriate size
- are put in proper locations
- are built and installed correctly so they aren't dangerous to the public
- don't negatively impact neighbouring properties
You need a sign permit in order to erect a new sign in the Town of Tillsonburg. Review the sign permit guidelines and learn how to apply for a permit.
By-law 3798 regulates signs, advertising devices and the posting of notices in Tillsonburg.
The application process for sign permits varies depending on whether a sign is temporary or permanent.
Mobile and Temporary Signs
Mobile or temporary signs cannot be installed in Tillsonburg without a sign permit. Permits are valid for 30 days and can be renewed for a maximum of 180 days in a 12-month period.
- signs can only be installed on the property of the business they are advertising
- signs must be a 30 metre distance from other mobile signs
- signs cannot be placed in sight triangles or near driveways that may block motorists' view
- signs must not be animated or flashing
The mobile sign permit fee is $35 per month.
Permanent signs cannot be installed in Tillsonburg without a sign permit. All applications must be accompanied by a scaled drawing which will include information on:
- materials used;
- dimensions of the sign area, sign face, copy area and support members;
- the maximum height, clearance and projection;
- description of the copy or wording to be displayed;
- all relevant structural information.
Sign Permit Application Fee:
- $100.00 for the first $1000.00 of estimated construction value
- $7.00 for each additional $1000.00 of estimated construction value or part thereof
Application for Sign Variance Fee:
- Minor: $300.00
- Major: $450.00
Sign Variance Appeal to Council Fee: