Tillsonburg Cemetery is owned and operated by the Town of Tillsonburg, in accordance with consolidated By-law 2021-058. Cemetery staff strive to maintain the cemetery grounds in a way that offers respect and dignity for all.
- Opening/closing of burial sites
- Seeding/sodding and grass cutting
- Setting of markers and headstones
- Repair of foundations
Decoration Day is held on the third Sunday in August, however decorations are allowed at other times of the year.
- Glass or breakable containers are not permitted on cemetery plots
- Loose flowers may be placed on graves at the time of inurnment and on Decoration Day
- Artificial wreaths or monument saddles are permitted from November 1 to April 15. These tributes should be fastened to the monument or mounted on a separate stand anchored to the ground. Artificial decorations remaining after April 15 will be considered abandoned and removed by cemetery staff.
- Flower beds may extend up to 15 inches in front of the monument and should not extend further than the width of the monument base. Borders made of pre-formed concrete, heavy grade plastic, rubber or granite are acceptable.
- Flower beds and in-ground plants are not permitted on flat marker grave sites
- Potted plants may be placed on top of the ground close to the monument, but must be removed by September 30
- New bushes, shrubs and trees are not permitted in the cemetery unless planted by Tillsonburg Cemetery staff.
- Decorations may be removed if they pose a safety risk or affect general cemetery operations
- Glass or other breakable items (i.e. statuary) are not allowed around the columbarium
- Bud vases approved by the Tillsonburg Cemetery and attached to the niche will be allowed throughout the year
- Other floral tributes are permitted only at the time of interment and on Decoration Day; flowers that are likely to stain or deface the structure will be removed
- No ornaments of any kind are allowed on or near the niches
- No ornaments of any kind are allowed on the bud vases